Monday, November 22, 2010

Sick

I'm finally feeling more normal after nearly a week of being sick.  I spent lots of time last week on the couch.  Not much work done, which is a bummer.  But, feeling a lot more normal since Friday. 

Eating-wise has been okay.  I wouldn't say great by any stretch, or even good really, as there were a few occasions of unecessary overeating.  One night in particular, I wasn't hungry but HAD to eat.  Fortunately, though, my clean-out of the cupboards resulted in fewer calories being consumed, so that's something. And last night I did particularly well not overeating. I did some grocery shopping over the weekend and stocked up on produce and healthy foods. 

I haven't been up to exercising, of course.  Last week I went for a walk on Tuesday and a walk on Saturday.  Otherwise, no exercise.  I've already arranged to go for a walk/jog with my sister this afternoon, though.  I really need to get my arse moving again.  I also need to get back on the Pilates wagon because my back has been really bothering me for the past few weeks and when I was doing Pilates regularly my back hadn't bothered me much at all.

I'm finally nearly finished with the book The End of Overeating.  It is chock-full of interesting theories as to why we overeat, from food industry tricks to brain chemical reaction, to habitual responses.  Such as, the more junk food you eat, the more you want to eat it.  I'm in the last section of the book, which finally deals with how to stop overeating.  It's really just common sense - meal planning, avoiding junk food, mindful eating, learning to judge hunger, portion control, eat more whole food, eat more protein, etc. etc. etc.  Absolutely nothing new there.  I did enjoy reading about various studies with regard to how our brains react to certain foods, particularly sugar, fat and salt.  And also how the food industry uses sugar, fat and salt, and also how it processes food to make eating easier, resulting in more calories consumed in shorter time periods.  Nothing shocking or surprising, but good to cogitate over.  It isn't that any of this stuff is new but it is beneficial for me to be reminded.  I guess I'm a slow study :)  Slow to put it into practice.  Although I know I should give myself a break - it is one thing to recognize a problem and another to change one's behavior.  I totally do NOT agree that recognizing the problem is half the battle :)

1 comment:

  1. It might now be half of the battle
    per se
    but it IS a great place to start!
    Be well, eh?

    ReplyDelete