Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It's Not a Daily Battle

For me, the fight to control my eating is not a daily battle; it's a moment by moment battle.  When I'm really distracted, I can go hours without thinking about food.  But, otherwise I'm constantly thinking about what I'm going to eat, what I have in the fridge and cupboard, when I can next eat, as well as what I can't eat.  I think a lot about what I can't eat.  Every time I actually eat something, I'm battling with what I should eat and what I want to eat.  Whether I should eat or shouldn't eat.  How much I want to eat and how much I shouldn't eat.  Sometimes these questions are posed several times in one hour.  If I'm really busy concentrating on something or I'm out and about (I'm not prone to stopping for fast food), I can avoid these questions for hours.  But, five days per week, I'm sitting at my desk, working.  Seven nights per week, I'm sitting on my chair or the couch, reading or watching TV.  Or I'm getting into bed and the questions plague me.  The battle wages on, neverending.

This morning is an example of the constant battle and how I try to win it for team weight loss.  I was hungry, opened the cupboard and saw the kids' cereal next to my box of wheat/bran cereal.  I wanted the kids' cereal.  I knew it would taste way better and satisfy that constant need for "treats."  But, the wheat/bran is what my body needs.  The wheat/bran is not a trigger food and will keep me satisfied longer.

I made a deal with myself:  If I ate the wheat/bran cereal, but was still hungry I could have a small portion of the kids' cereal.  I ate the wheat/bran cereal and my hunger was satisfied so I didn't need the sugared cereal.  However, I did get hungry again 2 hours later and had a Nutri-Grain bar.  I'm okay with that.  I think I'll be fine until lunch.

The war wages on.  Sometimes I win a battle, sometimes I lose.  I need to remember to step back and look at the bigger picture. 

3 comments:

  1. Can you pre-plan the night before? That might help you curb some of those questions on a day-to-day basis. If you plan out all your meals and your snacks...sure, you're still going to have to make some last-minute decisions here and there, but the bulk of the planning will be done for you. Maybe this will help to make you a little less obsessy about food?
    Christine
    www.phoenixrevolution.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Christine. You're probably right, a menu is a good idea. I think I'll try that and see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuteness - you are only 4'9"
    I myself an 5'2"
    And congrats on the loss so far!
    I like the battle metaphor.
    It IS a bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete