Tuesday, November 16, 2010

2 Steps

After reading several articles about binge eating and reading my post, I've taken the first two steps to what I hope is a permanent change in behavior:

Step 1:  I was diagnosed early on (at 18) with low levels of seratonin and have struggled with depression throughout my adulthood.  A common theme in people who tend toward overeating or binge eating is low levels of seratonin.  I've always been resistant to anti-depressant medication because I don't like taking regular medication and "messing with" my system, I don't like how I felt on the medication I've tried, and I felt I could control my symptoms with my lifestyle choices.  Today, however, I realized that maybe that is putting too much pressure on myself.  I've been having other symptoms of depression the last few weeks (sleeping too much, avoiding people, avoiding everyday tasks, etc.) and maybe it's stupid for me to feel like I can control a physiological issue by sheer will alone. I wouldn't resist taking medication if I was told I had high blood pressure or a thyroid problem.  Anyway, so I called my doctor and got a referral for a psyche consult.

Step 2:  In reading what I had eaten last night, I thought "why do I have all this junk in my house?"  Seriously, that's just stupid. It isn't like the kids need it either; on the contrary, they specifically SHOULD NOT be eating that junk either.  So, I tossed the rest in the trash.  I started to do this last week but didn't want to waste food the kids eat.  Today, it struck me how lame this thinking is.  This isn't food, it's JUNK.  It's not only a waste of money whether we eat it or not, it's actually better that we DON'T eat it.  So, in the trash it went.  Including my very yummy dark choco blueberries.  I can't have treats in the house.

2 comments:

  1. One of the first things I did once I started LoCarb - I gave all my HIGH carb food things....and so-called treats - gave them all to the homeless shelter!
    And filled my pantry with LoCarb snacks.... that way, I'm less apt to be tempted along the way!
    Good that we know our weak areas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can try this kind of meal journal for tracking your emotional and fullness levels:

    Meal Diary

    Breakfast

    Hunger Level (0-5)
    Emotions
    Food Eaten
    Fullness Level (0-5)

    Lunch

    Hunger Level (0-5)
    Emotions
    Food Eaten
    Fullness Level (0-5)

    Dinner

    Hunger Level (0-5)
    Emotions
    Food Eaten
    Fullness Level (0-5)

    Snack 1

    Hunger Level (0-5)
    Emotions
    Food Eaten
    Fullness Level (0-5)

    Snack 2

    Hunger Level (0-5)
    Emotions
    Food Eaten
    Fullness Level (0-5)

    ReplyDelete