Saturday, June 15, 2013

Back and Fat and Ready to Start Again

I agree, I shouldn't use such derogatory terms, including about myself.  However, it is true that I am way up in pounds since I stopped blogging.  Not since I stopped, because I got down to an all-time low of 124 pounds.  Yep, super low for me.  I was wearing sexy clothes and popping high heels and feeling pretty damn good for a while. 

Last spring I weighed 124 pounds, after dieting and exercising and doing the up/down, two-step for years.  Literally years!  I started out at 184 pounds in 2008 and in 2012, I had lost 60 pounds!  That's awesome!

So, what is the problem now, you may be wondering.  How much could I have gained in one year?  Surely, I'm not that high from what I was last year.

Or maybe you know exactly how quickly one can re-gain weight that was previously lost.  Even weight that was lost more than a year before.  I haven't re-gained all 60 pounds.  I have to remember that.  But, I am officially up to 152 pounds.  Yep, a 28 pound gain in one year.  More than I weighed when I stopped blogging in 2011.

But, that's the past and I can only move forward.  I have thought a lot about why I've been gaining weight in the past year and the problem is that I just haven't been truly motivated to stay thinner.  I have good reasons for wanting to be thinner - such as being healthier, being able to move around easier, having more clothing options, feeling better about myself, etc.  But, these are apparently not strong enough motivators to fight my desire to eat lots and lots of unhealthy, fattening food.  And to wallow on the couch, too full to so much as get up and go for a walk.  This is the trend I have been on for months and it is no good for me at all.

I need a plan.  I joined Weight Watchers (for like the third time) a couple months ago.  The first weigh-in I had lost two pounds.  The second and third weigh-ins I had gained weight.  I then stopped weighing in, and then stopped going to the meetings.  I haven't tracked in a couple weeks.  It's time to get back on program.  It couldn't be easier, with having the app on my phone.  I enjoy the meetings this time around because the leader is really good - down to earth and personable, but also funny and interesting.

I need a plan, so I can avoid my pitfalls.  Like, watching TV.  Watching TV is the worst thing I can be doing.  I just sit and eat and eat and sit and I literally am gaining weight every evening doing this.  On the few evenings I avoid sitting in front of the TV, I eat far less.  So, no TV.  No TV!!!  It doesn't matter if it is morning or night, I cannot be watching TV!

1.   No TV - or minimal TV at the least.  No eating in front of the TV, at all.
2.   Plan my meals the day before - breakfast, lunch and dinner
3.   Always have food in the house so I don't resort to fast food.
4.   Stick to my plan - track, track, track
5.   Have clear-cut goals.  Remind myself why I want to lose weight.
6.   Remind myself this is a process
7.   Get thee to the gym!
8.   Plan my week so I know what I will be doing in the evenings after work.
9.   Find ways to enjoy the process - like trying new food, going to new places, meeting people
10. Reward without food.

So, that's a starting point, right?  Every moment of every day I make a decision for the next moment.  We make so many decisions every day - a lot of them impulsive.  If we are accustomed to a certain way of thinking and deciding, when we are tired or distracted or upset, we will go the accustomed route.  I have to change my route and leave myself with less opportunities to make the same counter-productive choices I've been making.  It's time to rewire my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment