Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Fight

Why is it sometimes we just have to spark an argument?  You know it isn't going to solve anything.  You know you are just going to make both you and your spouse miserable, but you just can't stop yourself from saying something.  It really doesn't solve anything.  There's just tension and upset and dislike and bad feelings.

My husband just got a new job and I was relieved because he has been off work for a few weeks.  I've been worried about paying the rent, but he was able to get a loan from his mother, and he was going to start his new job today.  So, I figured I could pay most of the rent with my paycheck and the remainder with the money he got from his mom, and then, before too long, we'd have his first paycheck to tide things over.

However, that's not what happened.  My husband was supposed to start training today (remotely, because he is working a regional area not near any of the company's offices) except that he never completed the new-hire packet that was sent to him A WEEK AGO.  He's been sitting on it, apparently.  And then he was surprised when they wouldn't let him start training today.  Of course they needed him to complete all of the at-will and proof of right to work in the US and confidentiality agreements and everything else before they would just allow him access to the company's system.  So, now he is just mailing the documents tonight (couldn't even get it done before 5) and will have to wait until next week to start his training.

On top of that, he only had half of the money his mother gave him left.  Less than half, actually.  I don't know what he did with the rest of it and I didn't ask, because he would just tell me it isn't any of my business.  Except that now we don't have the full rent to pay.  So, I called the landlord to give her the news (because I'd rather just have her know now than worry about the blowback later) and she is urging me to move to a cheaper place because she doesn't trust my husband.

When my husband hears about my conversation with her (not about that she doesn't trust him, though), he blows up at me and says that I screwed up his handling of her.  He said he had already told her there was the possibility we would be a bit short with the rent, but that we would get it covered.  He thought he was being smart by giving under-promising reality (like she wouldn't figure it out come the first) and then once she did find out then he would handle it again.  She isn't stupid.  She knows his game.  But, how do I have that conversation with him?  He's already unstable. 

This is my life.  And if anyone is thinking that I should just leave and go off on my own, I have kids. And when I did try to leave, the kids were VISITING me.  Because he managed to talk his way around the judge and get primary custody.  Yeah, so that isn't going to happen again.  I'm not visiting my kids.

Bad night and just accomplished nothing but making things more tense and unhappy around here.

On the flip side (since this blog IS about food), I didn't binge on the back of that fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment