Monday, February 17, 2014

24 Bottles of Beer on the Wall

Yep, 6 days down, 24 to go.  This is in the no sugar/no flour because I have to restart my goal counts on the rest.  I made it 5 days but did not exercise, meditate or write in my gratitude journal yesterday.  So, back to day one with that count.  Still, the important one is still ongoing :)  This was especially hard this weekend when there was fudge on top of the fridge and candy bars inside (my adult son's).  Plus the kids bringing home a shit load of goodies from their valentine's parties at school.  They hauled some serious sugar home.  It is amazing that schools are so comfortable handing out that much candy / cake / cookies.  I don't see we're going to have any significant change in our country's overall size until we stop celebrating every damn holiday in school with JUNK FOOD. 

Anyway, except for what my adult son brings into the house, at least I can control what's inside.  And with regarding to feeding my family this weekend, that went really well.  I spent hours this weekend making chicken and vegetable broth and then using some of the broths to make a couple of healthy soups.  Since I'm trying to avoid MSG, I can't use store-bought broths.  I took the chicken broth and made a soup with a variety of vegetables, shredded chicken (from the chicken I used to make the broth) and rice.  From the vegetable broth, I made a creamy veggie/bean soup.  Both turned out very yummy and lots of leftovers in the fridge.  I also made a sizable amount of sweet potato mash to have on hand for me.  I think not having easy-to-hand foods that are tasty is the hardest part of all of the foods I have to avoid (to control both my migraines and my food addiction).  Literally all pre-packaged food is out.  I mean, yes I can grab a piece of fruit or munch on some cut-up veggies, but I often don't want either of those things.  Or I find I'm eating too much fruit and have to haul myself back from it.  So, having some foods that I like ready to eat in the fridge will help a lot with me not feeling deprived.

No comments:

Post a Comment