Monday, January 17, 2011

Update

I started keeping a calendar on the wall next to my computer so I can track my weight and my workouts.  It's good to be able to glance at the wall and see my efforts.  I can instantly see my good weeks and bad weeks.  I can see the weeks where I didn't exercise much and the following week's weight, to demonstrate the results of my efforts, or lack of efforts.  It's really helped to keep me honest with myself.

This morning I weighed 132.  Still bouncing between 131 and 135, as I have done for the past four months.  I feel strong at the moment and hope I can maintain it.  I feel like if I could just get over the hurdle of dropping below 130, I will break the endless cycle of losing and regaining the same few pounds. 

I've been doing extremely well with my exercising.  Still struggling with night time eating.  Getting the gym membership seems to have been a good decision.  I'm enjoying the various classes and I'm even working out harder even when I don't get to the gym.  Yesterday I worked out on my Wii (My Coach) and then ran/walked 4 miles on the treadmill.  This is good because it leaves me less time for nighttime snacking.  The longer I work out, the less time I spend trying NOT to eat while watching a movie or reading a book.  I've also found that going to bed helps.  Since I got a Kindle, reading in bed is so much easier and I just don't think about food while I'm laying in bed.  Cuz who eats while laying in bed, right?  It's not a trigger for me as is sitting on the couch or my reading chair.

That's not to say that I don't still eat in the evenings.  I'm still fighting the urge.  As SOON as I sit in my chair or on the couch, the urge to eat starts.  I've become so consumed with not eating at night, that the thoughts are always at the forefront of my mind.  Tell yourself over and over not to do something and that's the first thing you want to do.  Course, we know that I can't do just letting myself eat, because I will do so until I've eaten pretty much everything in the kitchen. :)

I was also thinking yesterday of something else I've learned about myself.  If I eat breakfast as soon as I wake, I want to eat again two hours later.  However, if I wait an hour or two after I wake until I'm genuinely hungry, then I'm good until lunch.  As dieters, we read a lot about what we should and shouldn't do, but we have to remember that we're not one size fits all and therefore we have decide which tips and recommendations work for us and which don't.  I also find that it's better for me to work out in the evenings, when I want to be active and too busy to eat rather than lounging around fighting my food demons.  The less time I have to fight my snacking urges, the less opportunity I have to give in to them.  Furthermore, exercise improves my mood, which also helps me focus on avoiding overeating.  I am an emotional eater, after all.  I recently read that you burn more calories all day if you exercise in the morning.  What they don't mention is you burn more calories all night if you exercise in the evening.  You don't burn MORE calories just because you exercise at a certain time in the day.  But, I've read many articles that seem to suggest you do. 

Anyway, it's all about finding out what works for you and not necessarily trying to follow all the latest advice.  Kinda like parenting, right? :)

1 comment:

  1. Kinda like parenting one's own self!
    I need to remind myself to work-out.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete