Thursday, April 24, 2014

No Sugar / No Flour

Back in October of last year, I finally got fed up with my over-eating and weight gain and decided to completely clean out my cupboards of anything that could/would trigger a binge.  It turned out that this pretty much included anything with flour or sugar in it, so I decided that I would just avoid eating those things.  It worked out well for a couple months. But, then one day I gave in and ate toast and "fell off the wagon."  Since then, I have tried to get back onto this way of eating a few times - once for nearly two weeks - but I haven't been able to maintain it.  It isn't easy.  However, if I could just get through the first few weeks, the cravings for sugar and junk really do diminish significantly.  I felt better, had more energy, fewer migraines and slept better as a result of eating that way. 

The past week or so I've really been struggling again - feeling bloated and uncomfortable all the time.  Not being able to fit into any of my clothes.  Knowing I'm gaining, gaining, gaining every day.  I feel like I've tucked and begun a roll down a long hill, gaining momentum with every moment that passes.  That's why the no sugar, no flour thing worked before - it halted that progress, at least for a little while.

So, I decided today to give it another go.  It's always worth a try and I know that if I stick to it, it does work.  The cravings lessen, I feel better and I eat a lot less, even though I'm not counting calories or trying to eat less.

I went to the grocery store today to stock up on foods I can eat.  I want plenty of variety in the house while I do this.  The initial detox from sugar.  I expect to feel tired and cranky tomorrow and for the next couple days but then I should start to feel better.  I can eat all the fruit and veggies I want, so this isn't an Atkins diet.  It's just a no-junk diet.  Actually, it's not a diet - it's a HEALTH MISSION.  I'm on a mission to improve my health by kicking out all that junk that just makes us overeat and feel like crap.  That's my mission and I'm (hopefully!) stickin' to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment